MEDIA TRACKING FOR BUSINESS SUCCESS
Media tracking plays a crucial role in measuring media success. Gone are the days where the only way to find out what is being said about your business is to manually flick through newspapers, glue your eyes to the TV or have the radio on. Technological advancements are giving us dynamic digitised content with the click of a button which is offering critical insights into business strategy and so much more.
What is media monitoring and why is it important?
Media monitoring is tracking they things that are said about your business, your competitors and the industry. This is achieved through sophisticated algorithms and powerful processors that gather and organise specific mentions from across the media landscape, laying out what is important to your business (according to your inputs).
This process is vital to business strategy and success as it emphasises what you’re doing right, what’s going wrong and what to be prepared for.
How does it relate to your public relations strategy?
Ultimately, media monitoring is used to manage brand and reputation. This is achieved by understanding your audience and staying up to date with the latest news. When you know your target demographic you are better equipped to maintain happy customers and strong business relationships, collect helpful feedback, manage issues and crises effectively, and engage with the correct industry journalists.
The Adoni Media team uses media monitoring to develop and implement professional media strategies and public relations campaigns to help clients reach their business goals.
How to get started
- Establish what you want to achieve. Is it to manage or eliminate an issue you’re having with customers? Is it to identify an area of business growth via influencers?
- Decide what channels to monitor. Depending on your business, this could focus on traditional media channels, social media channels, or a mixture of both.
- Select a tool. There are hundreds of digital tools to choose from. The Adoni Media team uses iSentia to stay on top of traditional media outlets and Google My Business to monitor reviews, as well as Facebook Business Manager to monitor Facebook and Instagram, and Ads Manager for all things social media. Sprout Social, Hootsuite and Agility are also widely used.
- Turn on alerts. Google alerts is a handy tool to use when you want to be notified each time a key word or phrase is entered into a search bar. You can also look at monitoring backlinks (e.g. if someone posts a link on Twitter that is directed back at your website or blog).
- Set up a data analysis strategy. It is important to continually reassess your brand to ensure continual and positive growth.
The public relations professionals at Adoni Media can help you determine the best business strategy for you based on the information gathered from media monitoring and produce an effective PR campaign to ensure your business can reach its maximum potential.