Social Media Posts
“A big thank you to Adoni Media. We couldn’t have done it without you, the driving force!”
– Petrina Reichman, Australian Homeopathy Association.
As many as two in three Australians use some form of complementary medicine. But after the Federal Government cut private health insurance rebates for natural therapies, researchers lost grants and products were taken off shelves, Adoni Media was commissioned by the Australian Homeopathy Association to create a Government Relations campaign to lobby decision-makers for political change.
The goal of the integrated PR and Digital Marketing campaign was to raise awareness of the proposed changes and mobilise the industry, consumers, and practitioners to sign an online petition.
The petition automatically prompted submissions to the Federal Health Minister and local MPs. It was all in a bid to help protect the right of Australians to choose the type of healthcare they wanted to access.
Your Health Your Choice (YHYC) resulted in more than 70,000 Australians signing up to the online petition in the first four months. Each sign-up triggered an email sent to the Federal Health Minister as well as a local Federal MP, and in addition to that, more than 88,000 emails were sent to Senators. More than 250,000 posts were made on social media, helping to share the campaign around the world.
Adoni Media’s PR and digital teams created the campaign name, branding, messaging, and strategy which attracted national coverage across TV, radio, print, and online worth more than $1 million.
The political impact was immense:
- YHYC was added to the Federal Health Department’s Issues List within weeks of the campaign’s launch
- Meetings were secured with Ministers and senior bureaucrats
- Proposed laws to change natural medicine labelling were stopped
- A Government-funded research report into natural therapies came under Senate scrutiny
- A review was announced into natural therapies after 16 were excluded from private health insurance rebates
- It forced the release of a report into homeopathy that the National Health & Medical Research Council was refusing to release and initially denied existed.
YHYC was hugely successful. The campaign also won the Complementary Medicines Australia Judges Choice Award in 2017, recognising YHYC as Australia’s largest campaign to protect natural therapies.